Sunday, August 28, 2011

Twisting vs Latching...

Since I became emerged in the YouTube cultural, I have noticed in the loc community the line drawn between latching and palm rolling(twisting). When I first started my journey the thought was I would palm roll, it's all I knew. I never took the time to do a lot of research on Locing my hair or the technique I would use (which i regret now), and it wasn't until I met someone at the beauty supply store and she actually latched my hair standing outside on the street. This changed my journey before it really started.

Since that day I have been latching, not as tight a she latched my hair ( I thought my brains was oozing out through my hair follicle , that had been enlarge from the pulling she inflicted on me. I took it apart as soon as I got back to my car), and I found it worked better for me a I like to wet my hair almost daily.

I have heard and seen from numerous YT'ers that they don't latch because
1. It is merely just knotting the hair
2. Because it thins the hair out
and my favorite
3. It doesn't look like REGULAR loc...hum

Most of you know my history on how I started my locs, so I wont bore you with that you can always check my YT channel for that info. My own personal summation of Latching vs Twisting or palm rolling is that
1. Locs are simply matted and knotted hair
2.. It's not the technique that thin the hair, it the doer and their skill and the frequency
..and this I feel doesn't even warrant a response, but I'll give one anyway
3. Side by side my locs look the same as a loc head that is twisted or palm rolled with the exception of naturally different characteristics.

We each have our own special ways of doing things and I dare not say my way is better then yours its just what I prefer. I think the goal should be healthy looking strong locs, and the goal should be doing what is best for your hair to help you reach that goal.

Chime in if you have some insight to share I would love to hear you views!

No comments:

Post a Comment